Gill is a lifelong, multi-award-winning artist currently living and working from her home and studio in the Scottish Borders. Her initial Honours degree was in sculpture but she began painting when her children were small and it was easier to put down a paintbrush than wrap up a large sculpture. This year she was awarded a residency at Marchmont House. In 2019 she was awarded best exhibitor at The Borders Art Fair and has been awarded project funding from Creative Scotland and The Lotteries Fund. She has had work selected for many prestigious exhibitions, most recently the ING Discerning Eye 2020, The Every Woman Biennial 2021 and the Scottish Drawing Competition 2021. She has work in collections worldwide. Gill is the Society of Scottish Artists satellite for the Scottish Borders and is active in Scottish Arts. She also delivers lectures to accompany exhibition programmes in her locality.
Her paintings are contemporary figurative using pigment-rich oil paints on aluminium. They merge influences as diverse as historical portraiture, Jungian psychology and dream worlds to create a unique visual language deep in metaphor which can sometimes pose more questions than answers.
After graduating with an honours degree in Sculpture from Cheltenham College of Art in 1989 she has continued to practice art and has exhibited widely.
Currently Gill delivers workshops for Berwick Educational Association and Berwick Visual Arts around their exhibition programme. Prior to this she was the founder of Allanbank Arts, an art centre in the Scottish Borders which she ran until 2017.
Before that she was a part time lecturer at Worcester College of Art, Stroud College of Art and Borders College. She was also an artist in residence for Gloucestershire psychiatric services and delivered art groups to mental health patients for seven years.
SELECTED AWARDS AND COMMISSIONS
- Residency at Marchmont House, March 2021
- Awarded best exhibitor stand at Borders Art Fair 2019
- Creative Scotland Visual Artists Award. 2010/11. Migraine Project.
- Awards For All and Eccles and Leitholm Primary School. 2006/7 Commission to build a sculpture for the school grounds.
- Art Shape and East Glos NHS Trust. 1996 Commissioned to build a temporary sculpture for Imperial Gardens Cheltenham for the duration of the Literature festival. ‘The Storytellers’
- East Glos NHS Trust. 1995 Commissioned to produce twelve permanent artworks for a new mental health hospital.
EXHIBITIONS & GALLERIES
- Ashburn Gallery, Devon
- Torrance Gallery, Dundas St, Edinburgh
- Dancing Light Gallery, La Mancha
- Royal Glasgow Institute of Fine Arts Open Exhibition at the Mitchell Library, Glasgow
- White Fox Gallery, Coldstream
- Velvet Easel Gallery, Portobello
- Number 4 Gallery, St Abbs
- Arusha Gallery, Gill Walton, Peter Hallam and Chris Hall, August 2017
- Borders Art Fair 2018 and 19 and 20
- Glasgow Art Fair 2019
‘A Butterfly Collection’, Axiom Centre for Contemporary Art, Cheltenham, April 1997
- Member of the Scottish Artist’s Union
- Professional Member of the Society of Scottish Artists
- Member of Visual Arts Scotland